An enterprising and visionary Chief Financial Officer with a broad executive skillset specializing in realizing financial and operational turnarounds across operations, supply chain, overhead expense management, capital restructuring opportunities, revenue cycle management, and clinical and non-clinical labor productivity.
Well-established capabilities in growing and empowering high-performance and crossfunctional teams and organizations. A highly accomplished forward thinker with strong communication and interpersonal skills adept at working with and leading multiple departments and across functions to increase operational efficiencies and strengthen revenue streams, and collaborate with diverse stakeholder groups to realize results.
- Medicaid supplemental funding program development
- Clinically integrated network development
- Public hospitals
- Local and state government relations
- Medical school funds flow
- Physician and commercial joint venture development and board membership
- Realization of health system merger synergies and efficiencies
- Interim system CFO financial stabilization and operations improvements
- Insurance captives
- Philanthropic foundation and clinical research financial operations
Mark has provided performance improvement-focused, executive leadership for national non-profit health systems, academic medical centers and local government-owned hospital systems with budgets ranging from 20 million to 2.5 billion in revenue. More recently, Mark has served as the chief financial officer for the following organizations:
- VP and Chief Financial Officer, Catholic Health Initiatives – Texas Division (CommonSpirit Health), Houston, Texas
- VP and Chief Financial Officer, Mills-Pennisula Medical Center (Sutter Health), Burlington, California
- VP and Chief Financial Officer, Augusta University Health System, Augusta, Georgia
- SVP and Chief Financial Officer, Gundersen Health System, La Crosse, Wisconsin
- Corporate SVP and Chief Financial Officer, Baylor Scott & White Health – North Texas Division, Dallas, Texas
- Oversaw financial operations of a 12-hospital health system and Physician Enterprise System with $2.5B in total revenues.
- Oversaw financial operations of a $1.3B 350 bed community/teaching hospital, 5 community access hospitals, 2 Nursing homes and 5 for-profit entities.
- Oversaw financial operations of a primary 241 bed hospital and 2 affiliated short stay hospitals with $650 million in total revenues.
- Improved revenue cycle process (CDI, denials, collections, and bad debt reduction) while spearheading division’s CARES funding and FEMA COVID-19 reimbursement.
- Led productivity improvement gains across the division, resulting in a $10-million annual improvement, while consolidating and streamlining Medicaid Supplemental funding management.
- Oversaw financial operations of the University System of Georgia’s only academic medical center with $900 million in total revenues.
- Provided primary contact to lenders for acquisition of operating line of credit and lease refinancing while reporting financial results to a Board’s Finance Committee.
- Supported transition of Augusta University Health System’s financial operations to Augusta University’s newly hired Chief Business Officer.
- Served as finance point person in assessing financial/operational impacts of legislation proposed by state/ federal officials.
- Directed and effectively collaborated with both clinical and information technology leadership on the selection of an integrated strategic financial planning, budgeting, and cost accounting system.
- Instituted focus and reporting on key revenue cycle success and lagging financial performance indicators.
- Completed corporate finance restructure due to retirement of vice president of financial operations and elimination of position.